vicky: an interview

vicky: an interview
vicky: an interview vicky: an interview vicky: an interview
One of the things I really like of the interviews I make are the answers that in a common conversation you wouldn't make, and it is even nicer when you interview someone you know, maybe not too well but enough to understand the meaning of words.
I know Vicky since a short time, but from the first moments she hit with her light kindness and her spontaneity. Enjoy the interview...

Me. Who are you? Can you talk a bit about you (your background)?
Vicky. Hi my name is Vittoria, but everyone calls me Vicky.
I live in Bergamo but I also spend some month a year in Spain. I went to the Art School and then I took a degree in painting and restauration at the Accademia di Belle Arti in Bergamo.
On 2003 during that last year of the Accademia I went on Erasmus to the "Facultad de Bellas Artes de Valencìa", an extraordinary experience which opened my artisti horizons, changing dramatically my view of the art. During the end of school and after few work experiences I understood that I was not really into restauration. A surgical job that leaves few place to creativity and fantasy. For years I painted on request and I decorate walls to make a living then I changed my mind to be much more free and do what I like.

Me. What do you do?
Vicky. I take care of my creative urgency.
On my own needs I use an instrument instead of another.
I always loved engraving, I entertain that passion since the high school and after years of wishing I was able to buy a small press.
Now I am having fun on testing different pressing techniques. My favorite is Xilography, usually I press wood, but also Linoleum, rubber, cardboard and I print on paper or fabric.
Anyway wood is my very favorite, when you feel the nature, you can't but fall in love! I use it both for carving and small sculpture.

Me. Are you a full day crafter?
Vicky. I’m afraid not. I try to find jobs that will not take too much time to the things I love though.
Me. Graphics o print?
Vicky. Both! As for me they are two strictly connected things. One does not exist without the other. There is only one kind of Graphic for me, the Artistic one that you can print or re-print only in limted editions!!

Me. Can you explain to us what Xilography is?
Vicky. Xilography is the art of carving wood. With gouges and knives I press and work on wood taking out the parts that will be white on the print, leaving what will be inked.
I ink the printing plate with a roller, it leaves color on the relief then I print with a press on paper or fabric. (it is the simple version, there are several ways to do it)

Me. Where do you take inspiration for your works?
Vicky. When I travel and I am alone I always have thrilling and inspiring intuitions, my eyes are always looking for visual impulses, even if latest I am more into nature, an encouraging nature.
I have a great interest for trees and graphic scheme that branches make in the sky or on the earth. And I am attracted to symbols suggesting meanings, for example the circle.

Me. Which is the first step you do when yu start a new project?
Vicky. First I organize my ideas and thoughts writing and designing on my notebook - I am really into notebooks and organizers. Then sometimes my personal works evolve or develop ad work in progress.

Me. Is there someone you'd love to collaborate with (from past or present)?
Vicky. Collaborations are always stimulating, so I really like 'em, but I don't have any in my mind.

Me. Which artists or designers are you following so late?
Vicky. Various, often more foreigners than italians. There is an artist I follow every single day, she is Paula Bonet form Valencia, one of my best friend.

Me. Can you describe your average day from waking up to night?
Vicky. The first thing I do when i wake up is running at my window in the living room to check if sun is shining. Is is? It will be a good day.
Light, bright colors, blue sky are the perfect starting point for a good humour, because ONLY if I am happy I can create!
I wake up with a big cup of milk in front of my computer then I go to the studio. I stay there till late afternoon and then I go to work.
If I do not work, I go to the studio after lunch and stay till night.

Me. The Top-5 of the place we must visit in Bergamo (every kind of).
Vicky. The Castle of in Città Alta: as soon as Spring comes I go there quite often to relax. It is so peacefull.
The Teatro Sociale in the very heart of Città Alta, it is magic. The garret of my Uncle Adri, is is full of graphics and sculptures. He is Adriano Bonari, a famous Mail-Artist. Flamingo Bergamo, a small shop in Piazza Pontida, delicious it is unique. And then ... I miss the fifth!!!?

Me. A hidden dream?
Vicky. To have a studio/greenhouse. Big and full of light, a structure in wood and iron, with transparent walls and ceiling!
Maybe outside pines and evergreen :) Love it...

Me. Your favorite magazines or blogs?
Vicky. One magazine and it is digital: Printshow on Italian art-print.
Two favorite blogs (the only two I follow) Fine little day and Uppercase.

Me. Is there something I didn't asked about, but you'd say?
Vicky. BLA BLA BLA! and…Thank you.
-
vicky: an interview
vicky: an interview
vicky: an interview
Una delle cose più belle delle interviste è leggere le risposte a delle domande che in una normale conversazione non faresti, ed è ancora più carino quando le fai a qualcuno che conosci, magari non troppo bene ma abbastanza da capire il significato delle parole.
Conosco Vicky da poco, ma sin dal primo momento mi ha colpito la sua gentilezza leggera e la sua genuinità.
Godetevi l'intervista...


Io. Chi sei? Potresti dirci qualcosa di te (il tuo background)?
Vicky. Ciao mi chiamo Vittoria, ma tutti mi conoscono come la Vicky.
Vivo a Bergamo ma qualche mese all'anno lo trascorro in Spagna.
Ho frequentato il Liceo Artistico e mi sono laureata in pittura e restauro all'Accademia di Belle Arti di Bergamo.
Nel 2003 durante l'ultimo anno d'Accademia ho frequentato la "Facultad de Bellas Artes de Valencìa" in erasmus, un'esperienza formidabile che ha aperto i miei orizzonti artistici, cambiando radicalmente il mio atteggiamento verso l'arte. Durante la conclusione degli studi e dopo qualche esperienza lavorativa nel settore, mi son resa conto che del restauro non me ne "poteva fregar di meno". Un mestiere troppo chirurgico che lascia ben poco spazio alla creatività e alla fantasia. Per anni ho dipinto su commissione ed ho decorato pareti per guadagnarmi da vivere poi ho deciso di svincolare la mia mente per essere libera d'esprimermi e fare quello che mi piace.


Io. Di cosa ti occupi?
Vicky. Mi occupo delle mie urgenze creative.
In base alle mie necessità interiori utilizzo dei mezzi piuttosto che altri.
Ho sempre amato l'incisione, una passione che coltivo dal liceo e dopo anni che lo desideravo, sono riuscita a comprare un piccolo torchio.
Ora mi sto divertendo molto a sperimentare le varie tecniche incisorie.
La mia preferita è la Xilografia. Solitamente incido su legno ma anche su Lineoleum, gomma, cartone e stampo su carta o tessuto.
Ma il legno rimane comunque il mio prediletto, assaporando la sua natura, non puoi far altro che innamorartene! Lo utilizzo anche per intagli e piccole sculture.


Io. Sei una creativa a tempo pieno?
Vicky. Purtroppo no, comunque cerco sempre di trovare lavori che non tolgano troppo tempo a ciò che mi piace fare.


Io. Grafica o stampa?
Vicky. Tutte e due!
Per quanto mi riguarda sono due cose strettamente correlate. Una non esiste senza l'altra. Di Grafica per me ne esiste una sola, quella d'arte, che si stampa e si riproduce a mano e in quantità limitate!!


Io. Ci spieghi in cosa consiste la xilografia?
Vicky. La Xilografia è l'arte di incidere il legno.
Con delle sgorbie e dei coltelli incido e lavoro il legno asportano le parti che dovranno risultare bianche sul foglio, lasciando invece in rilievo le parti da inchiostrare. Inchiostro la matrice con un rullo, che deposita in questo modo il colore sulla parte in rilievo e la stampo poi per mezzo del torchio su carta o su tessuto. (te l'ho descritto in modo molto sintetico, ci sono comunque diversi metodi sia per inchiostrare che per stampare)


Io. Dove prendi l'ispirazione per le tue opere?
Vicky. Da sempre quando viaggio e sono sola mi capita d'avere delle intuizioni che mi esaltano e mi ispirano, i mie occhi sono sempre in cerca d'impulsi visivi, ma nell'ultimo periodo sono molto interessata alla natura, una natura rassicurante.
Mi interessano molto gli alberi e gli schemi grafici che i rami creano con il cielo o con la terra.
E sono attratta dai simboli che suggeriscono dei significati, come per esempio il cerchio.


Io. Qual'è il primo passo che compi prima di iniziare un nuovo progetto?
Vicky. In primis cerco di riorganizzare le idee e i pensieri scrivendo e disegnando tutto su un quadernino - ho un debole per quadernini e agendine.
Poi a volte i miei lavori personali si evolvono e si sviluppano mentre sono in piena creazione.


Io. C'è qualcuno con cui desidereresti collaborare (qualcuno del passato o del presente)?
Vicky. Le collaborazioni sono sempre molto stimolanti quindi le desidero fortemente, però non c'è nessuno in particolare.


Io. Quali artisti o designer stai seguendo nell'ultimo periodo?
Vicky. Sono vari, generalmente sono più stranieri che italiani.
Ma c'è solo un'artista che seguo tutti tutti i giorni. L'illustratrice valencìana Paula Bonet, una delle mia migliori amiche.


Io. Potresti descrivere una tua giornata tipo dal risveglio a notte fonda?
Vicky. La prima cosa che faccio appena mi alzo è correre in sala e guardare dalla "mia finestra" se c'è il sole. Se c'è, la giornata parte sicuramente bene.
Luce, colori vivi, cielo azzurro sono fondamentali per il buon umore assicurato e importanti, perché SOLO se sono allegra riesco a creare!
Mi sveglio con una big tazza di latte d'avanti al computer e poi vado in studio. Ci rimango fino a tardo pomeriggio e poi vado a lavorare.
Mentre se non lavoro, vado in studio dopo pranzo e ci rimango fino a notte.


Io. La top-5 dei luoghi da visitare di Bergamo (di qualsiasi genere essi siano).
Vicky. Il Castello di San Vigilio in Città Alta. appena arriva la primavera vado spesso lassù a rilassarmi, c'è pace.
Il Teatro Sociale nel cuori di città Alta è magico.
La soffitta colma di sculture e grafiche di mio Zio Adri. Adriano Bonari, un grandissimo Mail-Artista.
Flamingo Bergamo, un piccolo negozio in Piazza Pontina. Unico nel suo genere, è davvero delizioso.
e poi mmmm… mi manca il quinto!!!?


Io. Un sogno nel cassetto?
Vicky. Avere uno studio /serra. Enorme e luminoso. Una struttura in ferro o legno, con le pareti e una parte di tetto trasparenti!
Fuori magari molti pini, che sono sempreverdi :) Meraviglia…


Io. Riviste o blog preferiti?
Vicky. Rivista una ed è digitale. Si chiama Printshow sulla stampa d'arte italiana.
Blog preferiti due (gli unici che seguo sempre) Fine little day e Uppercase.


Io. C'è qualcosa che non ti ho chiesto, ma che vorresti dire?
Vicky. BLA BLA BLA ! e… Grazie.

xo Coki

Labels: ,